Popular Posts

Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year countdown party on Kho Phagnan


New years eve day was spent mostly relaxing, apart from a mad dash into Haad Rin on the moped for 2 necessary items for the night ahead- an orange and pink flower for my hair and an orange sweatband for mister Al’s head, yeah we’re a cool couple!!!

New years eve was spent at the “new year full moon party” on Haad Rin beach on Kho Phagnan. For people that don’t know the full moon parties are known for being incredible, amazing, messy, raves that last well past sunrise. Music pumps out from massive speakers all across the beach, there’s stages and tables to dance on, a massive skipping rope at one end on fire that people jump over, it is just mental!

Getting ready, me in my bright pink skirt, day-glow yellow top and mister Alex in his bright orange shorts, yellow vest and orange sweat bands I did worry slightly that everyone else would be dressed a bit more normal! As we handed our key in at reception on the way out to meet Harry, Laura and Catriona no one else where we were staying was dressed like us but when we met the guys we fitted in perfect!!! We had a quick bite to eat before heading into Haad Rin by the truck style taxis here (well me and mister Al did have to do a quick detour back to our guesthouse first as I thought I’d left my hair strengtheners on, I hadn’t but I’d also forgotten my antibiotic before we had left too). The taxi drivers were mental, they wanted to get people into Haad Rin as quickly as possible so they can get back into the neighbouring area again to pick more people up, our taxi even set off before I’d put my first foot on the step to get in! The roads here are very steep and curved so we were jostled all around!

We got into Haad Rin at about 20:30 so were a bit early to go straight to the beach so we went to a guesthouse a 15 minute walk away. Harry had heard they had a happy hour on at 9 but it actually finished at 7! Oh well. Here the majority of the time was spent covering each other in body paint, some nice designs and pictures but mainly I ended up with blobs and dots all over me! I asked mister Alex to do some go-faster stripes on my face thinking he’d do nice skinny ones when I looked in the mirror they were big and fat and running into each other!

Walking into Haad Rin we passed 3 people stood on a corner 2 guys and 1 girl and I was so busy listening to their conversation which was one of the guys saying “your mum came on to me” I nearly walked into a moving car! Obviously I’m too nosey for my own good!

As we walked to the entrance for the beach mister Al and me bought some massive sunglasses that we wore most of the night, one of my lenses fell out part way through but I still kept them on! These also made for really good photos by taking the picture behind the lens! As we walked onto the beach there was already someone asleep on the stairs! Looking out at the beach was amazing, it was packed! We had arranged to meet the rest of the people we met on Kho Samui at a certain bar, we went and looked but there was no way we were finding anyone, it was that busy and people pushing and shoving it got a bit scary so we got out of there and went to find a space on the beach for new year.


Midnight was marked by the most amazing, breathtaking, firework show I ever have and ever will see. My mind was completely blown. They were set off on a hill to one side of the beach but when they exploded covered the entire sky! Thousands of colours rained from the sky and they just kept coming, when we thought one couldn’t be topped the next one would come and just sweep us away. It was like thousands of stars exploding above us, double and triple explosions in one, I found myself shouting “whooo” so impressed with the firework that had just gone off only to be repeating myself but at a higher pitch as the next one released thousands of colours raining from the sky. The blackness above us was full of sparkling glitter shimmering down on us. After at least half an hour of amazement the show ended with thousands of magical shooting stars that took over the sky above us. As it ended I looked at the hill were the fireworks had been set off and it was alight, I couldn’t help think the reason I’d never seen fireworks like that before was that they are probably not allowed back home!!!

Amazingly me and the other girls bumped into Sarah and girl Sam from Kho Samui in a random bars toilets so we were all together again for a little while, dancing and partying on the beach!

The group separated after a while, we went with Harry and Laura to like a club set in the hill but the strong buckets had taken their toll on me, I was a little worse for wear. Also it was around this time when I was paddling in the sea that my flip flops were swept away so I ended up wearing 2 unmatching large men’s for the rest of the night!  So we headed to a restaurant for some pizza and chips that sorted me right out, there were people just sat asleep at the tables in the restaurant, crazy!!! After that I was up for partying again so we had a dance, watched some drunk people attempt to skip using a massive rope on fire, Mister Al went down a slide onto the beach which was wet so he spent the rest of the night with a wet bum! 

As it started getting lighter we headed to some rocks on the right hand side and watched the sun rise. It was crazy watching the beach still full of people partying in the morning light! It was really surreal as we walked along the beach absolutely covered in rubbish, people swimming in the sea, people dancing on tables covered in bright body paint and also loads of people asleep and passed out on the beach. We actually found the sleeping people hilarious and ended up taking pictures of us next to them with our thumbs up! One guy did worry us a bit as he was very pale and we couldn’t see him breathing so I had to give him a poke in the ribs!!! He fluttered his eyes at us so he was ok.

We didn’t get back to our guesthouse until about 9am, I was so tired I was falling asleep in the truck on the way back but Mister Al kept poking me and waking me up!!

We slept all day yesterday trying to recover from the most amazing new years eve ever and one neither of us will ever forget. It was an incredible experience with 300 photos on the camera by morning to remember the night by!!

Last night we were woken by the loudest thunder ever!!! It seemed to shake the hut we were staying in, the rain was slamming against the side of our hut and at one point I woke in the night scared some wood or random object would come flying through the window! The forecast is pretty miserable here for the next few days so even though we’ve had somewhere booked and paid for, for the next week since we were at home we’ve decided to cancel it. We’re spending tonight still on Kho Phagnan but somewhere with a bit of luxury the place Laura and Harry are staying so we’re spending a last night with them. We have a hot shower!!!!! Then tomorrow we’re having a travel day to Krabi on the West Coast for one night and then going back to Kho Lanta where we plan to use our Christmas money from our parents and have 3 nights somewhere nice (thank you mums and dads!!) Hopefully the sun will be back out and we can chill and recover from Christmas and New Year!

Happy New Year everyone!!!! Lots of love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment